Becoming A Driver


You can not be younger then 25 years of age and you must have four years of related driving experience. Maximum age is 70 (call for more information). You must pass a Department of Transportation physical for a commercial driver (available from an occupational health clinic or regular physician). Drug screening is also required. You must have a driving record, which meets the approval of our insurance company (maximum of 2 tickets in the last 3 years, no DUI’s and no "at fault" accidents) and your driver’s license must be of the appropriate classification to operate the equipment you are driving and / or towing. A class “A” CDL is preferred. You must have driving experience that includes the operation of large vehicles, such as travel trailers and fifth wheel travel trailers, motor homes or trucks.

You should have a bank account with ATM card access and a Visa Card or MasterCard with enough credit limits to get you out of an emergency situation. We do not make loans or advances. 

You must be neat about your personal grooming habits. Suit and tie not required, dress shorts and tank top permitted at Dealership, weather permitting. When you drive onto the dealer’s lot, you represent our company and the manufacturer. You must be a concerned listener when you are at the dealer’s place of business and conduct yourself in a professional manner. Short tempered, impatient people need not apply. Where you live is not a factor to us, but you may find it more convenient if you live within a few hours drive or near our client base locations.


You must have a three-quarter ton or one ton pick-up, preferably not more then five years old. A turbo charged diesel engine is the most economical (we will not lease a non-turbo charged diesel or short bed truck). Pick-up must have a 96” bed length. Four-wheel drive may be a benefit in some climates, and dual rear wheels may be a benefit for some loads.

You must have a fifth-wheel hitch with a minimum load rating of 14, 000 pounds (no cross bed, wheel well mount). You need a 2X2 receiver hitch rated at 10,000 pounds, with a solid shank ball mount and load equalizing torsion bars, all rated at 10,000 pounds. The ball height (measured from the ground to the top of the ball) must not exceed 19 inches. An adjustable height ball mount is useful on some trucks. You need a ball that is 2 5/16" in diameter, rated at 10,000 pounds. You should also carry a hollow shank (5,000 lb. rated) set up with a 2" ball. A “goose-neck” hitch is strongly recommended, and will allow you to pull equipment trailers, etc. and is most often used in back-haul situations. With these four hitches, you will be able to pull the majority of trailers offered to us.

You need an electric brake controller suitable for towing a trailer with three axles. You need a seven wire "Bargeman" (female side) electrical connector in the truck bed for the fifth wheel units, and a connector near the ball mount for travel trailers. You must have 102" wide towing mirrors, and big sturdy mud flaps mounted to hang about 4” above ground and 2" past the width of the tire. An extra large fuel tank is good to have (maximum of 100 gallons and must have six way electric valve) and a toolbox for your jack and other emergency items like wheel changing tools. A full size auxiliary 12V deep cell / marine battery will also be needed to power the trailer brakes in the event of a truck-trailer separation (This is a requirement of the D.O.T.).

If you choose to run a tailgate, it must be the "V" gate type. Leave your stock tailgate at home. It is handy to have a good quality CB. If you have a "cross-bed" carpenter’s type toolbox that sits above the body of the pick-up, leave it at home. You must have 48-52" of clearance in front of the kingpin. Anything that extends above the bed of the pick-up with in this area, including a rear window spoiler, tool box or roll bar / headache rack, will interfere with the towing of a fifth wheel unit and you will be required to remove them before being dispatched.

Your pick-up must have a current D.O.T. safety inspection. The inspection is available at several vendors in our area, and at most truck repair facilities. To pass inspection your truck must meet all applicable state and federal safety standards, and must be equipped with a fire extinguisher and carry red reflective triangles. The cost of the inspection should be about $85.00.

It would be in your best interest to obtain a copy of the booklet "Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations", and be familiar with the rules and regulations of the "Department of Transportation". You must keep a record of your driving hours, and many of the other rules also apply to us and you.


The truck will earn 78% of the gross line haul rate earned by the company. The gross line haul rate for domestic loads varies depending on which customer we are transporting for. The driver makes an average of 1.05 to 1.15 per mile for domestic loads (which includes the fuel surcharge). Some loads may pay less and some loads may pay more. Canadian loads average1.14 to 1.25 per mile (which includes the fuel surcharge) some loads may pay less some loads may pay more. Obtaining a passport or an enhanced Driver's License to enter into Canada would be beneficial. Eighty percent of our deliveries are in Canada.

For all trips, the mileage figures are based on "PC Miler Streets", Version 2000 Practical Routing, and are actual miles calculated from zip code to zip code. We will reimburse you for approved fee’s and tolls while under load, assuming your trip is routed over a toll way.

We have some drivers that average 1,000 to 1,500 miles each week, and some that choose to run 5 to 7 hundred. The holiday season greatly affects the sales and production of recreational vehicles, and there may be other seasonal and economic slow downs. We never attempt to travel with units in a blizzard or other hazardous road conditions, such as high wind, heavy fog or icy roads.

From your earnings, you pay for your own fuel, oil and tires, maintenance, and the insurance on your truck. RV Transport will pay for the cargo insurance, and RV Transport will also pay for the $750,000.00 liability insurance required by the D.O.T. No taxes are withheld from your earnings. We issue a Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year.


A lot of driving time! You can calculate the miles you can drive with a maximum of 11 hours driving time in a 24 hour period, (D.O.T. Regulations). Drivers are required to inspect the exterior of the units before transporting them and must wash the units before delivery (this is not a detail wash, and we reimburse you $20.00 to wash most units). There is a minimal amount of paper work involved with every unit you transport. If you have a flat tire on the trailer, you will need to change the tire. You need to be knowledgeable about such things as tires and wheels, and the tools needed to service them. Some "mechanical" and "geographical" experience is very helpful.


We require a Performance Bond of $1,000.00 to help cover damage that you may be responsible for and you terminate your lease before your debt is compensated. The total driver deductible for damage is $2,500.00. We ask that you pay at least $500.00 of the bond when you sign the lease, and the remaining $500.00 will be debited from your settlements at $50.00 per paycheck. This is your money, and assuming there are no outstanding claims, will be refunded to you within forty-five days of your written notice that you are ending your lease with us. If you terminate your lease agreement before the completion of 25 trips, your final settlement will incur a debit of $250.00.

You will need money to operate on for the first few weeks of your lease. We process payroll once a week. You will be paid as long as your paperwork is complete and arrives in the office by the deadline time. About $1,000.00 is sufficient to get you started and hold you over until you start getting paid.

You must submit a current copy of your Driving Record (MVR) before we can review your application. The report cannot be dated older then 30 days, and must cover 7 years of driving history (class A license holders must provide 10 years of history). You can get this report from the motor vehicle office (or on-line) of the state that has issued you a driver’s license. Once your application is approved we will need your current truck registration, Social Security Card, Drivers License and Auto insurance certificate. You must get a certified medical examiner for your DOT medical certificate. To find physicians whom are certified go to the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners.  We are requiring each of our contractors to carry a nationwide cellular telephone with voice mail. As our “deadhead reduction” program develops, it is in your best interest that we are able to communicate with you on the road. Also, your family will enjoy the peace of mind knowing that they will be able to reach you in case of an emergency.


 Submit your application!

Receipt of your application is considered a basis for further conversation, not a commitment on your part. The pay rates quoted in this information were those in affect at the time of writing, and will usually increase with a rise in fuel cost. For the most up to date information, give us a call.