top of page

What is required to become an RV Transporter?

You cannot be younger than twenty-five years of age and you must have four years of related driving experience.  You 

must pass a Dept. of Transportation physical for a commercial driver (available from an occupational health clinic, on a walk-in basis).  Drug screening is also required.  You must have a driving record, which meets the approval of our insurance company (maximum of 2 tickets in last 3 years, no DUI's and no "at fault" accidents) and your driver's license must be of the appropriate classification to operate the equipment you are driving and/or towing.  A class "A" CDL is preferred.  You must have driving experience that includes the operation of large vehicles, such as travel trailers, fifth wheel trailers, motor homes, or trucks.  You must be willing to drive in all parts of the U.S. and Canada.

You should have a bank account with ATM card access and a Visa Card or Mastercard with enough credit limits to get you our of an emergency situation.  We do not make loans or advances.

You must be neat about your personal grooming habits. Suit and tie not required, shorts and tank tops permitted at Dealership, weather permitting.  When you drive onto the dealer's lot, you represent our company and the manufacturer.  You must be a concerned listener when you are at the dealer's place of business and conduct yourself in a professional manner.  Short tempered, impatient people need not apply.  Where you live is not a factor to us, but you may find it more convenient if you live with a few hours' drive or near our client base locations. 

If you want to Pull Travel Trailers this is what you must have.

You must have a three-quarter ton or one ton pick-up, a turbo charged diesel engine is the most economical.  Four-wheel drive may be a benefit in some climates, and dual rear wheels may be a benefit for some loads.

You must have a fifth-wheel hitch with a minimum load rating of 14,000 pounds (no cross bed, wheel well mount).  You need a 2 x 2 receiver hitch rated at 10,000 pounds, with a solid shank ball mount and load equalizing torsion bars, all rated at 10,000 pounds. The ball height (measured from the ground to the top of the ball) must not exceed 19 inches.  An adjustable height ball mount is useful on some trucks.  You need a ball that is two and five sixteenths' inches in diameter, rated at 10,000 pounds.  You should also carry a hollow shank (5,000 lb. rated) set up with a two-inch ball.  A gooseneck hitch is strongly recommended, and will allow you to pull equipment trailers, etc. and is most often used in back-haul situations.  With these four hitches, you will be able to pull the majority of trailers offered to us.

You need an electric brake controller suitable for towing a trailer with three axles.  You need a seven wire "Bargeman" (female side) electrical connector in the truck bed for the fifth wheel units, and a connector near the ball mount for travel trailer.  You must have 102" wide towing mirrors, and big sturdy mud flaps mounted to hang about four inches above the ground and 2" past the width of the tire.  An extra-large fuel tank is good to have (maximum of 100 gallons and must have six-way electric valve) and a toolbox for your jack and other emergency items like wheel changing tools.  A full size auxiliary 12V deep cell/marine battery will also be needed to power the trailer brakes in the event of a truck-trailer separation (This is a requirement of the D.O.T.).

If you choose to run a tailgate, it must be the "V" gate type.  Leave your stock tailgate at home.  It is handy to have a good quality CB.  If you have a "cross-bed" carpenter's type toolbox that sits above the body of the pick-up, leave it at home.  You must have 48-52 inches of clearance in front of the kingpin. Anything that extends above the bed of the pick-up within this area, including a rear window spoiler, tool box or roll bar/headache rack, will interfere with the towing of a fifth wheel unit and you will be required to remove them before being dispatched.  

Your pick-up must have a current D.O.T. safety inspection.  The inspection is available at several vendors in our area, and at most truck repair facilities.  To pass inspection your truck must meet all applicable state and federal safety standards, and must be equipped with a fire extinguisher and carry red reflective triangles.  The cost of the inspection should be about $50.00 

It would be in your best interest to obtain a copy of the booklet "FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS", and be familiar with the rules and regulations of the "Department of Transportation". It is true that we fall into a gray area for some of the regulations, but you must keep a record of your driving hours, and many of the other rules also apply to us, and to you.  

How much can I earn Pulling Trailers?

The truck will earn 78% of the gross line haul rate earned by the company.  The gross rate for domestic loads varies depending on which customer we are transporting for.  The driver makes an average of $1.87 to $2.34 per mile for domestic loads (which includes the fuel surcharge) some loads may be less and some loads may be more.  Canadian loads average $2.05 per mile (which includes the fuel surcharge) some loads may be less some loads may be more. Obtaining a passport or an enhanced Driver's License to enter into Canada would be beneficial.

For all trips, the mileage figures are based on "PC Miler", Version 11.0, practical routing, and are actual miles calculated from zip code to zip code. We will reimburse you for approved fees and tolls while under load, assuming your trip is routed over a toll way.

We have some drivers that average 1,000 to 1,500 loaded miles each week, and some that choose to run 5 or 7 hundred.  The holiday season greatly affects the sales and production of recreational vehicles, and there may be other seasonal and economic slowdowns.  We never attempt to travel with units in a blizzard or other hazardous road conditions, such as high wind, heave fog or icy roads.

From your earnings, you pay for your own fuel, oil and tires, maintenance, and the insurance on your truck.  RV Transport will pay for the cargo insurance, and RV Transport will also pay for the $1,000,000 liability insurance required by D.O.T.  No taxes are withheld from your earnings.  We issue a Form 1099 at the end of the calendar year.

What else do I need?

We require a Performance Bond of $1,000.00 to help cover damage that you may be responsible for and you terminate your lease before your debt is compensated.  The total driver deductible for cargo damage is $2,500.00, the driver deductible for liability damage is $2,500.  We ask that you pay at least $500.00 when you sign the lease, and the remaining $500.00 will be debited from your settlements at 10% per paycheck.  This is your money, and assuming there are no outstanding claims, will be refunded to you within forty-five days of your written notice that you are ending your lease with us.  If you terminate your lease agreement before the completion of 90 days, your final settlement will incur a debit of $250.00.

You will need money to operate on for the first few weeks of your lease.  We process payroll once a week.  You will be paid as long a your paperwork is completed and arrives in the office by the deadline time.  About $1,000.00 is sufficient to get you started and hold you over until you start getting paid.

You must submit a current copy of your Driving Record (MVR) before we can review your application.  The report cannot be dated older than 30 days, and must cover 7 years of driving history (class A license holders must provide 10 years of history).  You can get this report from the motor vehicle office of the state that has issues you a driver's license. Once your application is approved, we will need your current truck registration, Social Security Card, Driver's license and auto insurance certificate.  You can get your DOT medical exam and drug screen at a clinic near our Indiana office (Occupational Health Clinic, approx. $105.00 for both medical and drug test).  The clinic requires you to schedule an appointment.

We are requiring each of our contractors to carry a nationwide cell phone with voice mail.  As our "deadhead reduction" program develops, it is in your best interest that we are able to communicate with you on the road.  Also, your family will enjoy the peace of mind knowing that they will be able to reach you in case of an emergency.

bottom of page